My kitchen is usually fully stocked, so I rarely think about what I’m going to make for lunch. My go to quick meal? Between leftovers from last night’s dinner, some mixed greens and veggies, nuts or other pantry staples, and brown rice or potatoes I’m convinced it doesn’t take much to create a quick satisfying meal.
Here’s a little inspiration for a 15 minute “throw together” option. Just make sure you have a nice balance of the following: Protein, veg, healthy fat, carb and some spice. Salads what people are calling these new “power bowls” are all the rage and perfect excuse to combine and use up left overs.
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed, drained
- ½ red onion, chopped
- ½ bell pepper, chopped
- 2 handfuls spinach, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice with lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1.5 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 small garlic clove, pressed
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Coarse kosher salt
- Pita bread to serve
- Combine rinsed and drained chickpeas, chopped fresh basil, chopped Italian parsley, spinach, bell peppers, fresh lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, and pressed garlic clove in medium bowl.
- Add grated Parmesan cheese and toss gently to blend all ingredients thoroughly.
- Season chickpea salad to taste with coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.