I get the biggest kick out of healthy food trends. One day a new “superfood” is announced and people become convinced it will save their life while its predecessor becomes the forgotten stepchild. Hello, Kale! See ya never, Spinach!
It’s neat to hear people experimenting with new ingredients, but we all know deep down it’s your overall eating habits that really make the difference. All that to say several items that top these “superfood lists” have become staples in my kitchen. I’m a food trend follower, guilty as charge. So I decided to embrace it…
Enter my superfood kale salad, a nutritious dish that’s as classic as it is chic. Complete with lentils and sweet potato (and let’s not forget the garlic), it really is any superfood-lover’s dream dish. How can you resist with so many health benefits in these ingredients? The apple cider vinegar splash on top gives it the perfect amount of zest to satisfy your pallet. It is an ideal side to chicken or fish or serves as a vegetarian main dish.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 bunch kale leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Raw Nuts
- Dried Fruit
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cut sweet potato into ½ inch cubes and the sweet onion into thick strips
- Toss the sweet potato and onion in 1 ½ tablespoon olive on a baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 30-45 minutes or until tender and slightly browned edges
- While the vegetables are in the oven, bring a medium pot of water to a boil and add the lentils. Lower the temperature to medium and boil 20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the lentils in a colander and set aside.
- Wash the kale thoroughly and remove from the stem. Tear into bite sided pieces.
- Using the pot add the remaining 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil on medium heat. Add the garlic, cumin, and paprika and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the kale to the pot and continue stirring until kale is wilted and coated with the oil and garlic. Splash in desired amount of apple cider vinegar.
- Finally, add the lentils and roasted sweet potato and onion.
- Toss until everything is combined and season with salt and pepper
- Serve warm or chill in the refrigerator and serve as a cold side.
- It is an ideal side to chicken or fish or serves as a vegetarian main dish. Add raw nuts or dried fruit for an extra punch of flavor.