My sweet roommate and I could not be more different when it comes to food. She likes sugar while I like spice. She orders a burger and I go for the sea creatures. She’s all for convenience while I could spend hours whipping up my next kitchen concoction. However, there is one thing we can always agree on, and that is a fresh batch of roasted… beans!
Before I scare you off let me explain. Chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans) are a perfect healthy snack substitute for all you self-proclaimed chip addicts. This nutritious goodie is easy to make, easy to store and additive – you should probably double the recipe now. The satisfying crunch and endless flavor options will nourish your body with protein and its high fiber count. Skip the chip aisle next time you’re at the store and head straight for the beans.
You can’t go wrong with sugar and spice, so I included both options in my creation. You can keep the flavors separate or combine in the end to keep you taste buds guessing. Enjoy!
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and pat dry
- Toss the chickpeas in olive oil until evenly coated
- Combine the ingredients for the Sweet and Spicy mixtures in two separate bowls
- Divide the chickpeas in half and coat one batch with the Sweet mixture and one with the Spicy. Spread the chickpeas in a single layer on the baking sheet. You can choose to combine the two flavors or keep them separate.
- Bake for approximately 30-45 minutes or until crispy.
- Let cool and enjoy!